Hamsters are notorious for being active, curious creatures who love exploring their surroundings. This often leads them to take risks and climb to high places, even though they may not be able to get back down safely. So, the question is, can hamsters get hurt from falling? If so, how serious are the injuries? Let’s take a closer look at this topic!
How High Can a Hamster Fall and Be Safe?
When it comes to furry little creatures, few are as popular as hamsters. Hamsters are known for being playful and active but also quite fragile. So, just how high can a hamster fall and be safe?
The answer may surprise you. According to experts, a hamster can fall up to four feet and be safe. That’s because hamsters are very good at absorbing impact. Their bodies are designed to cushion any fall and usually land on their feet.
However, that doesn’t mean hamsters can’t be injured from a fall. If a hamster falls from a greater height, it could break its bones or even suffer from internal bleeding. It’s always best to err on caution and keep your hamster at a safe height.
What Do You Need to Know About Hamster Safety?
Most people think hamsters are low-maintenance pets that are easy to care for. However, there are a few things you need to know to keep your hamster safe from falling and other injuries.
One of the most common injuries that hamsters suffer from is falling. Hamsters are very active creatures, and they love to play. However, they are not very good at judging heights and can easily fall off furniture or other high places.
If you have a hamster, it is important to ensure that your hammy has a safe place to play and that there are no potential hazards that could cause them to fall.
Being Stepped On
Another common injury that hamsters suffer from is being stepped on. Hamsters are very small creatures and can easily be stepped on or crushed if they are not careful. It is necessary to keep your hamster in a spot where there is no danger of being stepped on.
Illness or Disease
Finally, hamsters can also suffer from illness or disease. Hamsters are very susceptible to a variety of different conditions and diseases. If you think your hamster may be sick, it is important to take them to the vet for a checkup.
These are a couple of things through which your hamster can get injured. However, we’ll focus more on falling and its prevention in subsequent sections. Following those simple tips can help keep your hamster safe from slipping and injuries.
What Should You Do If Your Hamster Falls?
If you have a hamster, it’s important to know what to do if it falls. Here are some tips:
- Try to catch your hamster if it falls. If you can’t catch it, try to break its fall with something soft, like a pillow.
- If your hamster does fall, check it for injuries. If it’s bleeding or is in pain, take it to the vet immediately.
- Even if your hamster doesn’t seem injured, it’s a good idea to take it to the vet for a checkup. Falls can sometimes cause internal injuries that may not be immediately apparent.
- Be extra careful in the future to ensure your hamster doesn’t fall again. Check its cage for potential hazards, and ensure it has plenty of toys and climbing options to keep it active and safe.
How to Prevent Your Hamster from Falling?
As a hamster owner, it’s important to be aware of the daily dangers your furry friend may face. One of the most common dangers is falling, which can lead to serious injuries.
There are several things you can do to prevent your hamster from falling:
- Keep your hamster’s cage away from high places.
- Ensure the cage is secure and cannot be tipped over.
- Put a soft mat or towel at the bottom of the cage to cushion any falls.
- Be careful when handling your hamster, and don’t let it fall from a height.
- Check the cage regularly for any loose wires or other hazards that could cause your hamster to fall.
If you follow these simple tips, you can help keep your hamster safe from the dangers of falling.
Also read: How Long Do Robo Hamsters Live?
Well Suited Cage to Prevent Hamster from Falling
One of the main concerns when it comes to keeping hamsters as pets are preventing them from falling. This is because hamsters are active and playful and love exploring their surroundings. As a result, they can easily fall off high surfaces or get stuck in small spaces.
It’s important to choose a cage specifically designed to prevent your hamster from escaping, as well as one that is safe and comfortable for your pet. Here are some things to look for when choosing a cage for your hamster:
- The cage should have a tight-fitting lid that is secured in place. This will prevent your hamster from escaping through the top of the cage.
- The cage should have solid sides (no wire mesh) to prevent your hamster from squeezing through the bars.
- The cage should have a solid bottom, not wire mesh. This will stop your hamster from digging out of the cage.
- The cage should be big enough for your hamster to move around comfortably. A minimum size cage for a Syrian hamster is 24″ x 12″ x 12″.
Types of Cages
Various types of cages are available on the market, and choosing one that is well-suited to prevent your hamster from falling is important.
Some of the most popular types of cages for hamsters include:
- Wire cages: These are made from metal wire and typically have multiple levels. Wire cages are a good option for hamsters because they provide plenty of space to explore and play.
- Glass tanks: Glass tanks are another popular option for hamsters. They are made from glass, and they typically have a wire top. Your hamster will love these tanks as they provide a clear view of your hamster at all times.
- Plastic cages: Plastic cages are another popular option for hamsters. They are typically made from durable plastic and often have multiple levels. Plastic cages may be ideal as they are lightweight and easy to clean.
- Wooden cages: Wooden cages are another popular option for hamsters. They are typically made from sturdy wood and provide a natural look for your home. Wooden cages are perfect because they are spacious and offer plenty of room for your hamster.
- Corner cages: Corner cages are a great option for hamsters because they take up less space in your home. These cages are typically made from wire or plastic and have multiple levels. Corner cages also provide enough room for your hamster to play without too much space in your home.
When choosing a cage for your hamster, it is important to consider the size of the cage and the type of material it is made from. You also want to ensure that the cage has plenty of ventilation and is easy to clean.
Once you have chosen the perfect cage for your hamster, you can start to enjoy all of the benefits that come with owning a pet hamster. They are cute, playful, and active animals that will bring your life joyfully.
Also check: Can Hamsters Eat Strawberries?
Fun Facts about Hamsters
Besides being flexible and resistant to falling injuries, these furry little creatures have a big personality – and there’s more to them than meets the eye. Here are some fun facts about hamsters that you may not know:
- Hamsters are nocturnal animals. This means that they’re most active at night.
- Hamsters have very poor eyesight. As a result, they rely heavily on their sense of smell to find their way around.
- Hamsters are very good at storing food. They need to keep food in the wild to survive the winter months.
- Hamsters are very clean animals. They groom themselves several times daily and look for dirt and debris.
- Hamsters are social creatures. In the wild, they live in groups of up to 20 individuals. However, it would help if you kept pet hamsters alone as they can become aggressive towards other hamsters.
- Hamsters are excellent diggers. In the wild, they build burrows to live in and store their food.
- Hamsters are very curious animals. They love to explore their surroundings and can be quite mischievous at times.
- Hamsters are known for their cheek pouches. These pouches store food and can expand to twice the size of the hamster’s head.
- Hamsters have a lifespan of 2-3 years. However, some hamsters have lived up to 5 years in captivity.
Our Final Thoughts
Hamsters do not usually get hurt from falling. However, hamsters that fall from high heights may also suffer internal injuries, such as ruptured organs. To prevent your hamster from getting injured if it falls out of its cage, make sure the cage is in a safe place and has a secure lid!
You may more on hamsters:
- Can Teddy Bear Hamsters Live Together?
- Can Hamsters Have a Heart Attack?
- How Long Does It Take for a Dead Hamster to Start Smelling?
- Is Pine Bedding Good for Hamsters?
- Can Hamsters Eat Hard Boiled Eggs?
- Can Hamsters Have a Heart Attack?
- Can Hamsters See In the Dark?
- Can Hamsters Survive in The Cold?
- Can I put a heating pad under my hamster’s cage?
- Can I Put My Hamster Cage on the Floor? [10 Reasons]
My name is Everly. I am a Milwaukee-based mom of 2 and have been a proud owner of many hamsters throughout my life. Like many of us, my introduction to hamsters happened when I was very young. My family saw several hamsters come and go through the years, and I enjoyed playing with them, but I never fully appreciated them until I grew up and my own children decided to jump on the hamster bandwagon. At that point, I was determined to learn all I could about caring for these adorable pets. Read more